Wednesday 7 March 2018


The Confession

by Jude Cowan Montague


When I get sad, or when I get angry,
I call upon my devil, Fancy.

John Moore’s wine was churned sour
by the curse in a woman’s stare.
His wife asked me to summon my power
to cure his barrel with prayer

but when I had done this she didn’t thank me,
so I told my devil, Fancy,

‘Go bite the head of his cow
to teach him a lesson or two.’
My Fancy flew into its blind, doughy mouth
provoking a terrified moo,

the cow buckled under and down sank she,
and all because of my devil, Fancy.

Fancy feeds me creamed butter,
cheese and bread with water.
He wreaked my revenge on Robert Nutter
who would have raped my daughter

if he hadn’t died, for which great thanks be
given in full to my devil Fancy.

Witches feast without light.
We feast on flesh without fire.
With Tibb and Fancy, the cloven sprites,
we have what our hearts desire.

When I get sad, or when I get angry
I call upon my devil, Fancy.


* * * * *

"The Confession" which is from Jude Cowan Montague's series, a work in progress, about the Pendle Witches based on the transcripts of the trials.

Jude Cowan Montague worked for Reuters Television Archive for ten years. Her album 'The Leidenfrost Effect' (Folkwit Records 2015) reimagines quirky stories from the Reuters Life! feed. She produces 'The News Agents' on Resonance 104.4 FM. Her most recent book is The Originals (Hesterglock Press, 2017).

No comments:

Post a Comment